Clean & serene living means learning healthy habits and good eating. And I love recipes that are quick and simple. Here’s one of my new favorites.
What’s more comforting than home-made macaroni and cheese? And even better is this stove-top recipe which eliminates a baking dish and a 45 minute wait while it bakes in the oven. This dish is table ready in 12 minutes.
These are the ingredients
- (2) cups dry elbow macaroni
- (4) quarts water salted like the sea and brought to a rapid boil
- (4) tbsp. unsalted butter
- (2) tbsp. flour
- up to 3 cups milk
- (2) cups sharp cheddar cheese shreds
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot bring the 4 quarts salted water to a boil
- Cook the macaroni as directed on the package
- In a saucepan melt the butter over a low heat
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter and stir for several minutes
- When it turns golden, add about 1 cup milk and stir again
- Stir until the sauce turns creamy and increase the heat to a medium low
- Add more milk until it is creamy and smooth
- Add the cheese and stir again until it is thoroughly blended
- Salt and pepper as desired
- When macaroni is done ladle it out into the cheese sauce with a slotted spoon
- Blend until the pasta is evenly coated.
- If the macaroni and cheese is too thick and gooey add a spoonful at a time of the pasta water until it is deliciously creamy and smooth